The Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA) is a new independent research organisation focused on revealing the trends, causes, and health impacts, as well as the solutions to air pollution.
We use scientific data, research and evidence to support the efforts of governments, companies and campaigning organizations worldwide in their efforts to move towards clean energy and clean air. We believe that effective research and communication are the key to successful policies, investment decisions and advocacy efforts.
CREA is seeking to fill a part-time researcher role based in Indonesia to support its air quality research and engagement in the country. Qualified candidates will work with the CREA team to collect local data and develop research on various sources of air pollution in Indonesia with particular focus on Java. The successful candidate will also be involved in liaising and collaborating with Indonesians academics, communities, policymakers, NGOs, and other partners in order to inform efforts and initiatives to deploy effective clean air solutions related to the country’s energy sector.
If you are passionate about fighting climate change through data, tracking pollution and supporting organisations to enable the energy transition please apply.
Position: Researcher/Consultant – Indonesia (part-time, 6-month contract)
Reports To: Southeast Asia Analyst
Effective from – 1st February 2021
Preferred Candidate profile
All applicants should have the following:
- Strong organizational, coordination, and project management skills, including experience managing complex, time-sensitive research requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to both experts and non-expert audiences in compelling ways.
- Ability to support stakeholder engagement, including but not limited to liaising with government officials and civil society groups
- Knowledge of air quality science and energy issues and policy in Indonesia is preferred
- Based in Indonesia
- Salary: Commensurate with experience and skills, and competitive with standard pay.
PURPOSE and SCOPE
This position will be part-time and for a 6-month duration, with possibility for extension based on performance. The successful candidate will provide research and coordination support for the following initiatives:
- Jakarta Airshed Source Apportionment project (70%) – CREA is developing a detailed source apportionment study of Jakarta’s airshed. The project will focus on transboundary air pollution and the sources of emissions from vital sectors. This position will support a three-part modeling exercise to collect and refine data to refine the model, and contribute to the analysis of the model’s findings. They will be involved in the development of the project’s output and policy recommendations. Responsibilities may include:
- coordinating and participating in the design and execution of scientific analysis to identify priority pollution sources
- supporting CREA’s Southeast Asia lead in managing engagement with local partners, local government, and other Indonesia stakeholders around this projects
- Supporting public representation/presentations of the source apportionment project in local events, forums and/or workshops. Mapping and engaging with stakeholders required to support clean air interventions, following the development of recommendations from the SA research
- Country-focused data collection (30%) – the researcher will also work with CREA’s Southeast Asia lead to develop CREA’s database and access to data in Indonesia. He or she will:
- Identify sources of data related to real-time and historical air pollution and energy sector data
- Collect data and research needed to responsively address air quality and policy developments in the country (ex. Investigate sources of a major pollution episode in Jakarta, and write a blog)
To apply, please send your resume and a 1-page motivation letter to Isabella Suarez (email@example.com).